Students may take university courses for personal interest, or to explore options before choosing the post-secondary program that is right for them. This can provide students a head-start on their academic path.
Open Studies offers university-level credit courses, on a part-time basis, to learners who are not following a specific certificate, diploma or degree program, or visiting students from another post-secondary institution.
Enrolment limits apply. Students may enroll in a maximum of six credits per term and complete a maximum of 24 credits overall. Exemptions may be considered for exceptional circumstances, such as for visiting students. Students seeking an exemption to the enrolment limits may contact the Office of the University Registrar at MacEwan.ca/OpenStudies.
Moving toward a post-secondary credential
If a student is planning to pursue a MacEwan University certificate, diploma or degree program after their Open Studies experience, it is important that they apply and meet admission requirements as soon as possible. Students should familiarize themselves with the admission requirements for their program of interest, especially those related to post-secondary credits. For students with nine or more post-secondary credits, most programs have a required minimum admission grade point average (AGPA) of 2.0. More information on AGPAs is available on MacEwan.ca/AGPA.
To be considered for Open Studies the student must:
- Demonstrate English Language Proficiency (ELP) at the level required for degrees.
- Meet all prerequisites and co-requisites for individual courses.
Other eligibility considerations:
- If the student has been required to withdraw (or equivalent) from a program or institution, they are not eligible to attend classes for 12 months after the date of withdrawal. Students can apply during this 12-month period for an intake term that starts after the 12 months have elapsed.
- Transfer credit for students in Open Studies will be assessed only on request and only to establish prerequisites. Official transcripts are required to complete transfer credit evaluation. Detailed information on transfer credit and submission of transcripts is available at MacEwan.ca/Admissions.
Admission and Enrolment Process
Search for classes
Before applying, students should search for class availability on MacEwan.ca/OpenStudies. Many classes are reserved for program students and may not be available to Open Studies.
Students should review the Program of Study/Course List for their desired program to determine course suitability, then search for Open Studies courses according to that planned post-secondary program.
Once the student confirms their eligibility and class availability, they can apply to Open Studies through ApplyAlberta and pay the nonrefundable application fee. Students will be notified once they become an Open Studies student.
Students will be able to enrol in available courses via myStudentSystem once Open Enrolment is available. Enrolment dates are posted on MacEwan.ca/OpenStudies.
If a student has enrolled in Open Studies within the last year, then their file is still active, and they do not need to reapply; students are eligible to enrol in available courses via myStudentSystem.
If the student has not enrolled in any classes within the last year, they will need to reapply to Open Studies via ApplyAlberta and pay the nonrefundable application fee.
Note: if the student has already completed the maximum of 24 credits, they will not be eligible to return to Open Studies.
If a student is enrolled at another post-secondary institution, they may be eligible to take MacEwan University courses following these steps:
- Search for class availability. If the course a student is looking for is not available to those enrolling in Open Studies, they may contact the applicable program. Permission is required and will be subject to seat availability. High demand course may not be available during the Fall and Winter terms. Check the list of high-demand courses at MacEwan.ca/VisitingStudents.
- Request a letter of permission from a student’s home institution indicating the courses they have permission to take and that they are in good academic standing.
- Apply to Open Studies through ApplyAlberta and pay the nonrefundable application fee.
- Submit the letter of permission, along with contact information, to the Office of the University Registrar at MacEwan University.
- International students in Open Studies are not eligible to work off campus.
- Letters of Admission are not issued for Open Studies, which will impact study permit eligibility.
- International students considering Open Studies are encouraged to see an advisor at MacEwan International
Students interested in Open Studies who need information, including course selection, enrolment limits, and future post-secondary planning, can contact the MacEwan Academic Advising Centre, MacEwan.ca/Advising.