Academic Calendar

International Students

MacEwan University welcomes all international students to our world class institution. The university’s commitment to being a leader in international education is reflected in all areas of programs and services. Our strong international reputation for excellence is based on 50 years of providing quality education to thousands of students from around the world. It is our privilege and pleasure to be your first choice in higher education and work with you to help you meet your academic goals.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Rules and Regulations

International students attending MacEwan University are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) rules and regulations regarding study permits, work permits and temporary resident visas. Under section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), only licensees in good standing with the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) or members of a Canadian law society may provide immigration advice. International students may seek student-related immigration information and advice from a licensed member of the CICC at MacEwan International. MacEwan International and the Office of the University Registrar issue letters and other documents required by international students for permit and visa renewals. If you are currently studying in Canada, you may also contact the IRCC Help Centre at 1-888-242-2100 for assistance.

Convention Refugees/Protected Persons who do not have Permanent Residence status should consult with a licensed specialist at MacEwan International before applying to the university to discuss study permit requirements.

Immigration Status

Students’ immigration status is recorded at the time of admission to MacEwan University. Students who require a Study Permit to study in Canada, who are in Canada with other Temporary Resident status, or who are refugee/protected person claimants whose Notice of Decision is pending are deemed to be an international student when enrolled at the university and are subject to all policies and regulations applicable to international students. This includes the assessment of tuition and fees which are assessed at the international tuition rate.

International students whose immigration status changes after admission must notify the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) of the change and provide the necessary supporting documentation. If notification and the applicable supporting documents are received by the OUR by the Last day to add or drop Regular Session classes, the change takes effect in the current academic term. Any notification of status change, including the submission of supporting documents, received after the Last day to add or drop Regular Session classes will result in the change taking effect in the next academic term. Tuition and fees will be assessed at the domestic tuition rate beginning in the term that the change in immigration status takes effect.

International Student Services

MacEwan International offers a range of services to help international students be successful in their studies and an active member of the university community. International Student Specialists assist students with understanding their program of study, the Canadian university environment, immigration compliance and regulations, as well as how to access additional academic, social, and career support services.

Admission and English Language Requirements (ELP)

  • Undergraduate and preparatory program information and admission requirements can be found at
  • English language proficiency requirements (see
  • Professional Development program (one-year certificate programs for international students) information and admission requirements can be found at  

Application Process

International students applying to undergraduate or preparatory programs (excluding English as an Additional Language (EAL/ESL) submit their application through

After you have submitted your online application, you will receive instructions for accessing the student portal, In the portal you can launch myStudentSystem to track your admission and upload your admission documents such as academic transcripts, English language proficiency test results, and passport information. Full details available at

International students applying to English as an Additional Language or Professional Development programs submit their application through the School of Continuing Education,

International Transfer Credit Evaluation

Upon acceptance to a degree, diploma or certificate program at MacEwan University, students with post-secondary/higher education completed outside of Canada, must initiate a transfer credit articulation review.

For each course previously completed with similar content to a MacEwan University course, a detailed, descriptive course syllabus is required. The course syllabus MUST be in English and the student is responsible for submitting a certified English translation of any document in a language other than English along with the original document.

All requests for transfer credit articulations are submitted through myStudentSystem.  Complete details are available at

Contact Information

Ayuko Matsumiya, RISIA, International Student Specialist
Yunzhuo (Grace) Li, RISIA, International Student Specialist
Monika Cox, RCIC, International Student Specialist
Nataliya Oliferchuk, RCIC, Manager, International Student Services
T: 780-497-5397

Erin Wight, RCIC, Director, MacEwan International