Academic Calendar

Errata - 20190508 - International Students

MacEwan University welcomes all international students to our world class institution. The university’s commitment to being a leader in international education is reflected in all areas of programs and services. Our strong international reputation for excellence is based on more than 45 years of providing quality education to thousands of students from around the world. It is our privilege and pleasure to be your first choice in higher education and work with you to help you meet your academic goals.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Rules and Regulations

International students attending MacEwan University are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada rules and regulations regarding study permits, work permits and temporary resident visas. Under section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), only members in good standing of a law society or the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) may provide immigration advice. International students may seek student related immigration information and advice from one of the regulated members of ICCRC at MacEwan International. The Office of the University Registrar issues letters and other documents required by international students for permit and visa renewals. If you are currently studying in Canada, you may also contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 for assistance.

Convention Refugees/Protected Persons who do not have Permanent Residence status should consult with a regulated immigration advisor at MacEwan International before applying to the university to discuss study permit requirements.

Immigration Status

Students’ immigration status is recorded at the time of admission to MacEwan University.  Students who require a Study Permit to study in Canada, who are in Canada with other Temporary Resident status, or who are refugee/protected person claimants whose Notice of Decision is pending are deemed to be an international student when enrolled at the university and are subject to all policies and regulations applicable to international students.  This includes the assessment of tuition and fees which are assessed at the international tuition rate.

International students whose immigration status changes after admission must notify the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) of the change and provide the necessary supporting documentation.  If notification and the applicable supporting documents are received by the OUR by the Last day to add or drop Regular Session classes the change takes effect in the current academic term.  Any notification, including the submission of supporting documents, that are received after the Last day to add or drop Regular Session classes the change will take effect in the next academic term.  Tuition and fees will be assessed at the domestic tuition rate beginning in the term that the change in immigration status takes effect.

International Student Services

MacEwan International offers a range of services to help international students be successful in their studies. International advisors assist students with understanding their program of study and the Canadian university environment as well as how to access additional academic, social, and career support services.

Admission and English Language Requirements to Degree and Career Programs

Application Process

Submit an application through

After you have submitted your online application, scan copies of the following to

  • All educational documents and certified word-for-word English translations for documents that are not in English
  • English Language Proficiency (ELP) test results, such as IELTS or TOEFL
  • A valid passport document

Remember to include your full name and Student ID or application confirmation number in the body of your email. Full details available at

International Transfer Credit Evaluation

Upon acceptance to a degree, diploma or certificate program at MacEwan University, students with post-secondary/higher education completed outside of Canada can submit a Request for Transfer Credit.

For each course previously completed with similar content to a MacEwan University course, a Request for Transfer Credit form and detailed, descriptive course syllabus and outline must be submitted. The course syllabus and/or outline MUST be in English and the student is responsible for having the translations completed. At least 80 per cent of the content from the incoming course must be equivalent to the MacEwan University course to be considered for transfer credit.

Complete instructions and forms can be found at, under the International tab.

International Tuition Costs

Credit Courses

International students enrolled in Open Studies, degree, diploma or certificate programs will be assessed a minimum tuition fee equivalent to nine credits in the fall and winter terms and on a per-credit basis during the spring/summer term. Refer to the International Tuition Fees table in the Fees section of the academic calendar. Estimated program costs for international students are also available from the university’s website at

Non-Credit Courses

Fees for international students enrolled in non-credit programs and courses within the School of Continuing Education vary. Refer to the website at

Contact Information

Monika Cox, RCIC, International Advisor
Eyobe Melketsadik, RISIA, International Advisor
Nataliya Oliferchuk, RCIC, International Advisor
Erin Wight, RCIC, Manager, International Student Services
T: 780-497-5397

Executive Director
Kimberley Howard, BA(H), M.Ed., MBA

Preparation Programs for International Students

Students apply directly to English as an Additional Language (EAL) or University Preparation (academic upgrading). Additional information concerning application and programs are available through the School of Continuing Education website.

Admission Requirements

To be evaluated through the School of Continuing Education.

All students applying to programs in the School of Continuing Education must present a minimum level of English Language Proficiency (ELP). The minimum ELP requirement to enter the lowest level of ESL classes offered is the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 with no skill under 4, Academic IELTS 4.0, Academic TOEFL iBt 39, TOEIC 405, Academic PTE 48, or CAEL 40.

Program of Study 

An advisor will develop an individualized study plan for each student to help them complete their ELP and/or high school course requirements. All students are expected to consult regularly with an advisor to ensure they are undertaking the appropriate coursework and progressing in their studies. Students who have successfully completed the required courses may apply for admission to a university degree, diploma or certificate program; however, admission is not guaranteed.

Contact Information

School of Continuing Education
T: 780-497-4400

Assistant Dean
Ewa Wasniewski, MEd, PhD (Can)